As an active affiliate of the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) and Education International, the global confederation of education unions (EI), NTEU supports the policies and statements of both organisations that call for an end to violence in Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories and for the creation of an independent Palestinian State.[i]
The quest for a comprehensive peace between Israel and Palestine, based on the co-existence in conditions of security of two sovereign, independent and viable states, requires renewed international attention and support as a highest and urgent priority. [ii]
- An end to the occupation of Palestine;
- Development of a just and sustainable peace in accordance with resolutions 242 and 338 of the UN Security Council;
- In accordance with 2 above, removal of illegal settlements, withdrawal of Israel from all Palestinian lands and the dismantling of the separation wall; and
- Immediate recognition by all countries of Palestine as a sovereign state with East Jerusalem as its capital, confirming the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination in a free and independent Palestine.
In accordance with these principles, NTEU calls on the Australian Government to:
- Recognise Palestine as a sovereign state with East Jerusalem as its capital
- Until such time as Israel has withdrawn from all Palestinian lands, all illegal settlements are removed, and the separation wall is dismantled:
- Cease the strengthening of trade relations, including any Free Trade Agreement, with the state of Israel
- Suspend all military and intelligence ties and co-operation with the state of Israel.
- Restore aid funding to the occupied Palestinian territories and immediately implement an additional and comprehensive humanitarian aid program for Gaza following the destruction of water, electricity and medical services and the resultant humanitarian catastrophe.
Further, NTEU supports the work of Union Aid Abroad (APHEDA) and calls on all members to contribute through APHEDA to the aid effort in Gaza and the West Bank by donating at https://palestinecovid.raisely.com
NTEU will make an initial immediate contribution of $10,000.
[i] ACTU Statement 17 May 2021: ACTU calls for an end to the violence in Israel and Palestine. https://www.actu.org.au/our-work/international/solidarity/actu-calls-for-an-end-to-the-violence-in-israel-and-palestine
EI Statement 18 May 2021: Palestine and Israel – EI condemns all acts of violence against children and civilians https://www.ei-ie.org/en/item/24921:palestine-and-israel-education-international-condemns-all-acts-of-violence-against-children-and-civilians
EI Statement of the 7th World Congress on Israel and Palestine, 31 March 2017 https://www.ei-ie.org/en/item/21664:statement-by-7th-world-congress-on-israel-and-palestine
[ii] EI Statement of the 7th World Congress on Israel and Palestine, 31 March 2017 https://www.ei-ie.org/en/item/21664:statement-by-7th-world-congress-on-israel-and-palestine